There really aren’t any real secrets to to selecting a contractor. However, the biggest mistake a homeowner can make is to not check the contractor references. Naturally, common sense would say, “why would a contractor ever provide a reference that wasn’t going to give a “glowing” review?” This is true, which is why you need to know the right questions to asks of the referrals to fetter out the truth. Below are some suggestions of questions to ask, to help in the process:
- How was the project staffed?
- How were their payment requests submitted?
- Were there any change orders that resulted in additional expenses?
- How was the project supervision?
- Who did the contractor talk with the most throughout the project?
Ask about subcontractors! If they are using subcontractors, are they properly licensed. While you’re at it, ask about pulling proper permits. In doing so, ensures that the project is being done correctly.
Best of Luck!